That the real estate market is a sector that suffers from the characteristic of being very volatile is no secret. It has gone from being a safe, easy and stable investment to being high risk. If we add this to the increase in energy demand, which has a huge impact not only on this sector but also on the rest of the sector, such as facility management, what are the challenges facing these sectors?
Your business structure in real estate or facility management generates a series of specific energy challenges for your business and your sector:
- Protect against prices: Having a plan that tackles the relentless increase in the prices of energy.
- Find a specialised energy management solution: Finding a truly specialised solution in energy management in building portfolios and/or for facility managers.
- Integrate new buildings without losing data: Being able to integrate a new building (or all the ones you have) simultaneously and without losing data. That is: without problems of incompatibility with a BMS, BIM or new meters.
- Implement projects in stages: Having an energy management platform that is scalable and helps to implement the project in the portfolio’s buildings in stages. It is smarter to first work on the buildings with the greatest potential savings and then migrate the rest without any problems.
- Energy management compatible with control: Having technology that allows control tools to be integrated into the energy management plan (control of the lighting system, communal areas, HVAC, etc).
- Ensuring that energy management becomes a way of attracting new tenants. In this way, you can generate more business thanks to being able to offer guaranteed energy savings, advanced control, a detailed analysis to make better decisions, etc.
- Finally, and especially for the facility manager: energy management must be carried out through an intuitive and easy-to-use technology. With the number of tasks you have, it is logical to think that an energy management technology should help you to save time, not waste it.
As a company that manages the energy of various buildings, the energy challenge is not to be underestimated. As we already mentioned in the introduction, energy prices continue to increase. You need to have an energy management plan and some energy management software that helps you to “protect” your energy cost.
So, no matter how much the kWh price goes up, you can be sure that it will not affect your rental margins or your facility management services.
However, this is difficult for the manager of building portfolios or the facility manager, because in reality there are few solutions on the market that are truly specialised in dealing with your needs and challenges.
For example, few platforms offer the possibility of being able to integrate a new building (or ten, a hundred, a thousand) automatically and without losing data. Or, without having to invest thousands of euros again in meters.
This occurs firstly because many technologies are “tied” to the meters of one manufacturer or another and, if you purchase a new building for your portfolio that does not have these meters, you cannot integrate it.
Ideally you should rely on an energy analysis tool that can communicate seamlessly with a BMS natively or through an open API. If you do not know what this is, you can read this article.
There is another key challenge in the energy management of building portfolios; the issue of control.
It is likely that your properties already have various BMS-type systems, or perhaps SCADA-type systems if it is an industrial building. It is important to read this article to understand the ideal relationship between an Energy Management System and these systems.
However, it is easy to simplify this issue as follows: your challenge is to be able to integrate your energy management system with control tools (BMS,SCADA).
So, when choosing an EMS for the energy management of your building portfolio, don't forget to take into account everything I tell you in this post.
If you would like to read more about Energy Efficiency for Real Estate, I encourage you to download this awesome specialised 📘guide on it: https://dex.ma/2LJ9ufn